Views:10 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2020-08-10 Origin:Site
With the development of social economy, the use of PVC pipe and PVC pipe joint becomes more and more common, especially in the field of construction. It gradually entered every family for its heat resistance, toughness and ductility. As we all know, PVC pipe coupling plays a very important role in the whole PVC pipe. So, if it has been used for a long time and there is a leak, how should we repair the PVC pipe fittings at home?
What things you will need during the repair process of the PVC pipes?
Brief description of the repair process of the PVC pipe joints？
Four Ways to Repair a Leaky PVC Pipe.
PVC pipe is the popular choice of residential pipe. Compared with copper pipe, it is cheaper and requires less installation skills. It also has the advantages of long service life without corrosion. Maintenance is usually simple. In the event of a leak or rupture, the replacement of defective PVC Pipe joints usually requires only a few simple tools and easily accessible replacement parts.
1. Clean rags: It is used to dry two PVC pipes to ensure that the surface is free of water and oil.
2. Replacement pipes and/or fittings: We need new PVC pipe fittings to replace the bad ones.
3. PVC cutters: It is used to cut off the leaking part of the PVC pipe coupling.
4. PVC solvent: We need it to bond the PVC pipes.
5. PVC glue: It is used to fix PVC pipes.
In this section, brief description of the PVC pipe joints repair process will be represented.
1. First, PVC bushes of the same diameter shall be used, but sufficient length is required to cover the defect. The sleeve shall then be cut lengthwise and clamped in the pipe from one end.
2. Clean the adjacent area, then apply special adhesive and wipe the end of the pipe from inside to outside.
3. Wait for the adhesive to dry, tighten it by hand, and then water test for leaks.
In summary, there are four different ways to repair the leaky PVC pipe coupling. I will introduce them in detail for the common situation.
1. Rubber or Silicone Repair Tape: Rubber and silicone repair tape is a thick, heavy-duty tape that will stick to itself, not the part to be fixed. It is elastic and a little sticky, so it can stretch and stick on itself to increase the compression force of tape winding. Wrap the tape tightly around the leaking PVC joints or pipes to extend the package beyond the maintenance area. One advantage of the repair tape is that if there is a longitudinal crack in the pipe, it can be spirally wound for a considerable distance. However, it may be difficult to use in a narrow space.
2. Repair Epoxy: Repair epoxies intended to bond with PVC and other plastics are usually in the form of putty and liquid (syringes). Both can be used to repair PVC pipe fittings leaks. Dry area and apply epoxy as directed by manufacturer. Most types are set in about 25 minutes, but may take an hour or more to reach maximum intensity. Liquid epoxy is thinner than putty and may be better for leaks in confined spaces, such as leaks through studs or holes in other framing members.
3. Fiberglass Wrap: Glass fiber cloth is coated with water activated resin. To use it, first wet the cloth with water, then wrap it around the leaking PVC pipe coupling, and then harden the resin for 10 or 15 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's application tips for best results and try to extend the wrapping paper at least 2 inches on each side of the leak area.
4. Rubber and Hose Clamps: A thick piece of rubber and several hose clamps can be temporarily repaired, and you can repair it without going to the store. If the leak is isolated into an area without separating the length of the PVC pipe joints, a piece of rubber can usually be obtained around it. Fully open the hose clamps so that they separate and surround the pipe. Wrap the rubber around the leaking part of the PVC pipe, then tighten the hose clamps at both ends of the rubber to compress the rubber block at the leaking part. Typically, this will stop or at least significantly slow down the leak and give you some time for permanent repairs. This repair is most suitable for smooth parts of the PVC pipes, where the rubber can be in full contact with the PVC pipe coupling surface. It doesn't work well on the edges where the profile or fitting meets the PVC pipe joints.
This article introduces the method of repairing PVC pipes. In a word, if you know some simple method for repairing the PVC pipe coupling, it will save a lot of time for you.